Featured Post

Movement Leads To Learning in Children

Our Adapted Gymnastic class looks like a lot of fun, but there is more going on than what the observer sees. Recently our Adapted Gymnastics...

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Skills and Values From Dance by Krista Smith Asbell

Note* Dear readers, I have asked some former students, that are now grown and parenting their own children , to write as a guest blogger on what skills and values they received from taking dance classes, that they now realize have carried over to their adult life. My hope is that this will be fresh, first hand information that new families to dance or other classes will find helpful in supporting their child's effort. I believe you will find great value in the perception of these young mothers.
 
Our first Guest Blogger is Krista Smith Asbell :
 
I have always loved to dance.  My parents used to take me to a Mexican restaurant that had a mariachi.  When I was 18 months old, I would climb out of my seat and dance to the mariachi's music.  Today, 28 years later, one of my favorite things to do is to go dancing with my husband or dancing in the living room with my 18 month old daughter.  Dance taught me so many things.  It taught me how nothing comes without hard work, to live a healthy lifestyle, and if you’re having a bad day – get moving!  I can not wait for my daughter to start dance lessons, so I can watch her grow, not only as a dancer, but as a person. 
            I began dance as an activity when I was in the third grade.  When I was in the fourth grade, I begged Miss Mary to not take ballet.  However, I disappointingly enrolled for tap, jazz, and the dreaded ballet.  See, I did not understand that ballet is the foundation for ALL types of dance.  I had no idea the great things ballet, alone, was doing for me.  Ballet, in my opinion, is the hardest type of dance.  It is more structured, requires more technique, and requires more muscle control and conditioning than the other forms of dance.  Without ballet, you can be a good dancer, but you can not be a great dancer! From this experience, I learned you will not get any where in life, unless you do the work first.  To achieve anything in life, there is always lots of sacrifices and hard work to first be completed. 
            Dance established the basis for me to be healthy.  I wasn't just going to dance lessons; it was like going to therapy every week.  I may have walked into dance with four tests at school that week, drama among junior high girls, and life in general, but not when I walked out.  When I left dance, I felt like a whole new person!  Dance lets you express yourself in a healthy way, when sometimes, there are no words to express what you are feeling.  It was also intense, low impact exercise.  It was great cardio, especially with Miss Mary’s tap routines! Even though ballet wasn't my favorite, it was excellent conditioning, and I grew to appreciate ballet. To this day, I keep active to minimize stress, support muscle tone, also it makes me feel good.   
           I also gained an appreciation of all types of music.  Dance helps in so many aspects of life, especially a young person's life.  It increases athletic abilities, engages both right and left brain thinking, creates excellent posture, and builds confidence. I can’t think of a better activity for children to keep their mind, body, and soul healthy. I am still reaping the benefits of dance today.  Dancing made me happy and still does.  Anytime I catch my toddler dancing, I encourage her – whether we are in public or at home – because I know it makes her happy.  That is the most wonderful thing about dance, it makes people happy.  If the music makes you want to move, then get moving!

Krista Smith Asbell
Public Educator