Featured Post

Movement Leads To Learning in Children

Our Adapted Gymnastic class looks like a lot of fun, but there is more going on than what the observer sees. Recently our Adapted Gymnastics...

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Unmentioned Heroes

Recently in class, a conversation broke out among students approximately age 9-12 years of age. The conversation turned to heroes. One of the things that I noticed was that the majority of the heroes that they admired were actually cartoon heroes and not real people that they could actually look up to. Really? What is wrong with that?

It was not that I wanted them to mention dancers or musicians, although throughout history there have been many worth mentioning. Like one of my heroes from childhood that always changed a bad situation into a wink and a smile, Shirley Temple. But it would of been nice if it had not been a pretend action hero.

Heroes should be people that have made a difference in our society. Whether they meant to or not, they changed us and changed us for the good. Heroes should be those that have made a stand or a high commitment and saw it through. Someone that was brave, even if they did not feel brave every moment of their life.

But true heroes are people that do not even realize that they are held in high honor. People that are just trying to get through the day, the week, the month, the year. People that work hard and do not even know that some people notice.

A few years back we had a hero here at our studio and she never knew it. No one even mentioned her as a hero and maybe we did not realize she was at the time, because all of us were just trying to get through the day, the week, the month, the year.

There was a parent that had her children in classes with us. The oldest had been in class for some time actually, when their life changed. You see, the husband and dad, decided he did not want to be a family any more. Being high school sweethearts was not enough to carry them through.

I remember the day the mom came to me and told me the story of how it all unfolded and that she would have to take her children out of classes. I remember my heart sinking , not because I was going to loose multiple students, but because I just did not know how this could of happened to someone so sweet. I remember looking at her and thinking she is so brave and I am going to fall to pieces any moment!

Because of the trauma that I felt the children were going through, I told her to not pull the children out. I asked that she allow them to finish at least the year because I thought that dance could be an outlet for them. No charge! It was what I felt I needed to do, and I am very certain that there are many other teachers that have done or would do the same. We are attached to our students like they are part of our family.

This mother, someone I had known many years and way before either of us had any children, looked at me and said only if I can pay for it by helping some way. She became our new janitor that day.

But more than that she became a hero that day. You see, this is not about a poor mom stuck with kids, no job and no husband. This is about a woman that took on the challenge of life! She had the ability to change things and she did.

She got a job. Actually two jobs in fast food restaurants (plus still doing janitorial for her children's classes) because she had no work history for others to hire her. Marrying her high school sweetheart and raising kids was her job for years. But, shed no tears because from two fast food establishments, she eventually made it to some college and then to the director of one of the best daycares in the area. Still raising kids.

But that is not the end of the story. She continued to work at raising her beautiful children, they continued over the years to take classes from us. She eventually continued her education and completed her degree. Children moved on to college. Now they are married. A grandparent!

In between she did re-marry for a time and took care of her own parents. Eventually, she moved away to be closer to her children and grandchildren.

I wonder at times if she realized what a great story she has created for her children to hand down to her grandchildren? I wonder if she ever knew that others sat back and wondered how she ever did it. I wonder if anyone ever realized how much power this one quiet woman really has.  I wonder if she knew that she is some ones hero. Probably not, because some of the best heroes never even knew that they were changing the game of life because they did not know someone was watching.

So maybe today we should all watch and notice unmentioned heroes. And instead of being quiet about it, maybe we should speak up and tell them, "You know, I've learned a lot from you. Thanks for being my hero today."

Here is to unmentioned heroes. See if you can find a few to learn from too. Now take THAT Batman! ((POW))!!